Well, it’s here! Tomorrow morning is the Monument Avenue 10K. In a field of 41,000 runners, I will be running my little heart out in a sea of black and gold at 8:42 AM!
Although I am proud to cheer on the VCU Rams, I don’t have any black and gold VCU gear, so I have chosen to be a racing ninja in all black!
This afternoon, Claire and I headed out to the expo to check out the booths and score some free stuff!
There was crazy traffic on the way there, and the expo was plenty busy with lotsa runners!
They also had a lot of discount running clothes . . .
Clearly discounted for a reason!
And a few other “special” items.
After exploring, we headed to Olive Garden to carb load!
I forgot my camera in the car, so please excuse the blurry cell phone photo! My Droid X has a great camera, I just don’t know quite know how to use it yet!
I opted for salad, many many breadsticks, and simple capellini with tomatoes and basil. It hit the runner’s spot! I also guzzled 2 gigantic glasses of water! Currently guzzling more! Gotta hydrate!
Now, we’ve got our bibs pinned on and our shoes chipped! We’re ready to run!
Here are a few of my pre-race rituals:
- Drink lots of fluid the day before—at least 2 of my big water bottles full, plus more! We had several free samples of Powerade at the expo, too!
- Charge my iPod and get my playlist ready to go. Be sure my headphones, Nike+ sensor, and arm band are in my bag to take with in the morning.
- Check the hourly weather forecast to see what I want to wear. It’s supposed to be 42-49* in the hour of my race, which has me waffling between pants and a long-sleeved shirt and shorts and a long-sleeved shirt. I know you’re supposed to dress to 20* warmer, so I’m leaning towards the shorts, but we’ll see what the morning brings!
- Pin my bib onto my shirt and attach my chip to my shoe.
- Set up my coffee to brew for the morning (I need java, even before a run!)
- Be sure my alarm is set! I would hate to miss the race because I overslept!
- Check on parking and be sure I know where I’m going in the morning. I hate being late for anything, and being late on race day would really stress me out, so I’m prepared!
- Get a good night’s rest. I ordinarily have trouble sleeping, but I feel uncharacteristically zen about this race. I’ve trained. I know where I’m going. I know what I’m wearing. I feel good.
I think I’m race ready! Wish me luck!
What’s your best pre-racing tip???