I’m not going to lie: I am incredibly depressed. I tend to fight a little bit of depression most of the time, I think, but lately, it has been bad. There are several things that factor in, but I know not running right now is a HUGE part of it. I also know that I’m on the cusp of making a decision I’m not very happy about.
After taking a full week off and feeling pretty good this week with yoga and strength training workouts, my back is still in pretty bad shape. Even walking without a limp is a challenge, and while I can do my workouts, I’m not able to give 100%. I’m smart enough to know that I shouldn’t start running again until I’m pain free, and unfortunately, I don’t feel like I’m close to that at all. It’s going to be at least another week, if not longer, before I can even think about it.
So, I have a decision to make.
Rest another week and hope I can continue training. Still try to run the marathon on April 21 after 3 weeks off with only 6 weeks to really train.
Give up hope of running my marathon on April 21 and relax. Take my time healing up and look for another marathon later in the spring to train for.
Somewhat coincidentally, I got an email from my running group’s sponsor that linked to an article about decision making when an injury interrupts your training plan called Fight or Flight.
Basically, I’m at the 2 week mark with my time off, leaving me with about 7 weeks before the marathon. According to the article (broken down in the handy infographic above), I need to seriously consider postponing my race–and that’s if I’m totally healthy, which I’m not.
I think I know the right decision, but making it is breaking my heart. 😦